Thursday, August 23, 2007

Fabulous Foolproof Pie Crust!

After I stated that I just could not make a decent pie crust, my husband's aunt passed this recipe along to me this weekend. She is right! This is indestructible! I made it last night, and for the first time ever I had a crust that was easy to work with, not tough, not crumbly! The egg and the vinegar are the keys! It even smells like a Pillsbury crust (but it doesn't cost nearly three dollars to make!).

Indestructible Pie Crust

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup shortening
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 egg
4 Tbsp ice water

Combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening. In another bowl, mix vinegar, egg, and 3 Tbsp ice water. Drizzle over flour and mix with fork. Add other Tbsp of water as necessary in order to make a ball. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll out and cook as recipe directs. Makes 1 double crust pie.


Michele

1 comment:

Celeste Creates said...

I can't wait. I have never been able to make a good from scratch pie crust. I gave up. I will try again!